This year, instead of starting and keeping seeds indoors until the weather got
warm (I of course started the seeds indoors), I put together a “mini hot house”
complete with solar heating water filled milk gallons.
I also formalized the area in front of the far (south) side of the fence with
the extra cinder blocks I dismantled from the center plots at the end of last
year. I then extended the main garden with the excess blocks as well. So at this
time I have a combined area of about 30’ x 25’ or 750 sq ft of planting space.
Also during the previous fall/winter, I went around the neighborhood to collect
bags of leaves that people collected from their property and left out to be picked
up. You’ll see bags of these in one corner of the yard. The plan is to use this for
mulch and later on integrate it into the soil to fortify it. I also bought and
applied bags of peat moss to add organic matter to the soil.
You’ll see an entire section (plot) dedicated to garlic. I had at least 2 varieties,
one of which was elephant garlic (the thicker, greener looking in the rear of patch).
This year was my first attempt at growing 4 varieties of potatoes as well as sweet
Of note I still mark off the plots in 4’ segments and I measured a 1’ path in
between each plot. Each area is designated by a letter of the alphabet. When I
plant something I record it on a piece of paper which contains the date and the
letter designation of the plot in which I did the planting. Btw… The 1’ path
actually is too restrictive. Unfortunately I kept doing it that way till the
There’s not much else to tell about the garden except that my potatoes and beets
garnered me a homemade strawberry pie from a very Lovely Lady. That was the biggest
pie I had ever seen. It was soooo sweet and delicious looking that I got a sugar
attack just looking at it! If nothing else, this is the kind of stuff that makes